Have you explained to your child's school staff that your child has a learning disability and needs to be placed in an individualized education program (IEP)? If you are worried that your child will not receive the education that they deserve because the staff has disregarded your concerns, there is still hope. You have the right to exercise your fullest abilities to obtain the right education for your child, and a lawyer can help. The school staff may not take your concerns seriously, but they will change their tune when a lawyer contacts them. After listening to your concerns about your child, a lawyer will guide you through the IEP process from start to finish, even if it leads to going to court.

Send a Letter to Request an IEP Meeting

The first step that should be taken to get your child into an IEP is to send a letter that is drafted by a lawyer. A lawyer will make sure the letter is thoroughly written in a fashion that provides a detailed explanation of why an IEP meeting is being requested. For example, they will explain your child's disability and how it affects his or her ability to learn via a regular education program. The letter might also request a response within a specific timeframe if the school does not want to face further legal action. A lawyer will ensure that the letter is sent by certified mail so the school cannot deny that it was received.

Prove That Your Child is Qualified for an IEP

If the school agrees to schedule an IEP meeting, a lawyer will begin to prepare evidence to bring to the meeting. In doing so, the lawyer might request documents from you regarding your child's disability, such as any disabilities they have been treated for. Your child's school records might be obtained as evidence as well. The reason is to show how your child has struggled to learn via a regular educational program and why an IEP can resolve the problem.

Take Part in Drafting Up an IEP for Your Child

If all goes well after the IEP meeting, a specialized education plan will need to be drafted for your child. You can participate in how the plan is created and can get your lawyer's input as well. On the other hand, a lawyer will take the case to court if the school refuses to cooperate at any point during the IEP approval process for your child.

To learn more, contact a special education lawyer in your area.