If you become disabled from a car accident that isn't your fault, how will you pay your medical bills? Who's going to provide for your family, make your mortgage payment, and put groceries on the table while you're recovering? Having these worries eating away at you when you need time to heal just isn't fair -- especially when your injury was caused by another driver's negligence.

Before you talk with the other guy's insurance company, do yourself and those who count on you a big favor -- retain a car accident attorney. With a lawyer who understands the legalese of personal injury claims on your side, your family can get the help they need to keep going during your recuperation. Having an attorney involved from the beginning will help in several ways:

Filing a Police Report

Should you file a police report to document what happened? Your attorney is the one who can best advise you on how to proceed with the police. Having everything documented by a recognized agency like the police department typically works to your advantage unless you were the one at fault. If your case goes to trial, you'll need the support of written documentation to win restitution. 

Seeking Medical Care

Your attorney will always tell you that it's in your best interest to seek medical care immediately. Even if you feel okay at the scene, disabling injuries such as whiplash could land on you in full force the day after. The sooner you get to a hospital, the sooner the full extent of your injuries will be documented -- again, another positive for court. 

Talking With Insurance Companies

Sadly, your insurance company doesn't always have your best interests at heart. And the other driver's insurance agent wants little more than to shift the blame so his company isn't the one stuck paying your bills. Hiring an attorney to speak to the insurance companies on your behalf or to accompany you when you speak with them is simply a smart move that can save you from settling for unfair compensation. 

You should never feel guilty for standing up for your rights, and being able to return to work and support your family are basic rights that are afforded every American. If someone tries to take them away to cover up their own mistakes, it's your responsibility to stand up and cry "foul!" Hiring an attorney is the best way to do it. 

For professional legal help, contact a law firm such as Monohan & Blankenship.